Home Energy Check-Up
Get a Home Energy Check-Up performed by LEAP
Available to Dominion Virginia Power* and Appalachian Power customers only. During our 90 minute to 2-hour visit, you’ll get an evaluation of your home’s energy efficiency, the advice of one of LEAP’s certified Residential Building Analysts, and installation of energy efficient products such as CFL and LED light bulbs, smart power strips, pipe insulation, water saving showerheads and faucet aerators, and more — plus a checklist of additional energy saving improvements for your home.
Dominion and Appalachian Power offer these programs to help homeowners realize immediate savings on their energy bills as a result of the complementary energy-saving products that are part of the program: CFLs, pipe wrap for hot water pipes, and smart power strips may be installed during your visit. As a non-profit, LEAP is able to underwrite the cost of our in-depth check-up visit by installing these products; we rely on the incentive paid to us by Dominion for each measure installed.
The Home Energy Check-Up is $45 (price varies depending on campaigns, special offers, and location). The visit, combined with professional, unbiased advice, and energy-saving products is valued at up to $250 in savings.
- The price of a check-up for City of Charlottesville residents is only $20 due to due to a generous grant from the City
- If you are participating in a Solarize campaign and would like to receive a check-up to find out if your home is renewable-ready prior to going solar, the check-up is free
- Neighborhood associations, PTOs/PTAs, and other community organizations are invited to participate and get a $10 donation for each Check-Up in their area
- Be a “Champion for Day.” Pick a day, organize 3 of your neighbors to get a Check-Up on the same day as you, and we’ll make a special trip. Plus, the Check-Up of your own house will be free.
All homes must be single-family residential, side-by-side condos, or townhomes. Stacked condos and townhomes, as well as apartments, mobile homes, and homes built after 2011 do not qualify for this program.
Home Performance Consulting
Since 2010 LEAP’s professional building scientists have helped more than 4,500 central and northern Virginia residents devise and execute plans to make their homes more energy efficient and comfortable and to integrate solar power. We tailor solutions based on individual needs and budgets. Our client relations staff helps homeowners identify rebates and low- to no-interest financing and connects them with vetted contractors to perform the work. We’ve logged hundreds of training hours to maintain our credentials and keep current in the most effective new technologies.
Our expert staff are available for inspections, testing, infrared camera scans, and consultations on any energy project for your building — energy efficiency or solar, residential or commercial.
$99 per hour
Home Energy Audit
A comprehensive home energy audit covers every square inch of your home, wall-to-wall, room-by-room, including crawl space, attic, and garage. It utilizes the blower door test and can sometimes involve a thermographic or “infrared” inspection. It includes vital health and safety components like testing for carbon monoxide and gas leaks and checking for mold and mildew. Overall, the comprehensive energy assessment is a very personal, tailored service with the end goal to make your home a more affordable and livable space. It is at the heart of what LEAP is all about, and it’s the preferred evaluation option for homeowners interested in deely improving their energy efficiency.
A home energy audit typically includes:
- Thorough analysis of the house, wall-to-wall, room-by-room
- Attic inspection
- Basement/Crawl space inspection
- Blower Door Test (whole-home air leakage, the biggest homeowner “aha!” moment)
- Health and Safety Testing (gas leaks / carbon monoxide / backdrafting risk)
- Diagnostic testing (air leakage, duct leakage)
- Identifies issues specific to your home
- Recommends personalized solutions for your home
- Infrared camera inspection
- A detailed report including return-on-investment calculations
Commercial Building Assessments
We bring clean energy solutions to your business
LEAP is well known for our work with 5,100+ homeowners, but did you know we bring the same expertise and support to commercial property owners who want to lower operating costs? Energy conservation is the most cost-effective way to reduce energy bills. Not only that, any energy-efficiency measure is also a CO2 reduction measure.
LEAP’s turn-key program can reduce your energy usage and the associated costs. Results: more profitability and enhanced public image.
We offer CEVA businesses presentations, one-on-one consultations, walk-through energy assessments, benchmarking, qualified contractors, financing resources, and support for renewable energy solutions.
Some of the local businesses that have worked with LEAP to date:
- Covenant School (lower school campus)
- Mudhouse Coffee Shop (Downtown Mall)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville
- Jean Theory
- McCallum and Kudravetz Law Firm
- Alloy Workshop
- University Montessori
- Cedars Court
- Fork Union Baptist Church
- Innisfree Village
- Westminster Presbyterian Church (Rugby Road, Charlottesville)
- On Our Own
- Barrett Early Learning Center
“LEAP has played an integral role in helping Alloy to reach our energy efficiency and sustainability goals. From coordinating energy rebates during the renovation of our new office space to acting as a catalyst and supporter in the Better Business Challenge, LEAP helped us to save energy and reduce costs, an outcome that’s good for business and the environment!” Alloy Workshop
“Like many older buildings, it was time for us to overhaul our heating and cooling systems. There were literally some days we could not use portions of our building because they were either too hot or too cold. It just made a lot of common sense and while the immediate issue was energy savings, we not only enhanced our sustainability – we made the classrooms far more comfortable. It’s a better learning environment for our kids.” – Dr. Mo Gaffney, Headmaster, Covenant Lower School
*LEAP is a Participating Contractor in the Dominion Home Energy Check-up program our price to homeowners is only $45. Certain restrictions apply. Contact us for details. Visit www.dom.com/hec-terms to view the Terms and Conditions for the Home Energy Check-Up program. Visit www.dom.com/hec-faq to view some frequently asked questions.