Solarize NOVA Returns to Falls Church and Vienna and Launches in the City of Fairfax
Discounted pricing on solar panels available March 15-May, 2016.
After several successful runs and with momentum for solar power growing across Virginia, the Solarize NOVA program returns March 15-May 15 to Falls Church and Vienna as well as a first run in the City of Fairfax.
As of January, 54 contracts have been signed through Solarize NOVA (2014 and 2015 campaigns) totaling 413 kW of electricity and valued at $1.5 million. The popularity of Solarize NOVA stems from the convenience of a streamlined process, free solar site assessments, and the affordability of bulk purchasing discounts. The program is run by the Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP) in partnership with the Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC), the City of Fairfax, and the towns of Falls Church and Vienna.
LEAP also has executed successful Solarize programs in Alexandria, Dumfries, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Herndon, Leesburg/Loudoun, Nelson County, and the 9-County territory served by the Piedmont Environmental Council.
Reasons to Solarize your house or commercial property:
- It’s More Affordable than Ever: The 30% federal tax credit was extended last year through 2019, and Solarize NOVA adds the cherry on top of discounts. When community residents rally behind solar, local installers are able to offer lower prices to Solarize participants through bulk purchasing, reduced travel, and offset marketing costs. Prices are expected to be discounted 15-18% . And LEAP will help participants access a 30% federal tax credit and navigate the Solar Renewable Energy Credit (SREC) market.
- It’s All the Rage: LEAP’s Solarize NOVA and Solarize Charlottesville programs have led to 195 signed contracts worth $3.5 million and totaling 1,293 kW of electricity production capacity. That’s 6% of all solar installed statewide.
- Higher Home Values: Recent studies have shown that homes with solar are appraised with a premium of 3-6 percent based on the region, with a price boost of about $10,000-$22,000.
- Head Off Rising Energy Costs: The Energy Information Administration projects a 2% annual rise in residential energy rates for the Mid-Atlantic. Solar customers regularly see an 8% or better return on investment.
- Curiosity Never Hurts: Solarize NOVA offers free solar site assessments to help you figure out if solar is even right for your home or business (roof space/position, tree cover) and budget.
Area residents or business owners interested in learning more about their solar and reduced rate financing options can go online and sign-up for free to be a part of the program today! www.solarizenova.org
LEAP will be offering a series of Solarize NOVA information sessions for those interested to hear from solar professionals, past program participants, and financing advisors, including:
- Vienna Info Session April 5
- Fairfax Info Sessions April 11 and May 2
- Vienna Green Expo April 24
A full list of events is available at www.solarizenova.org
City of Fairfax Mayor Scott Silverthorne
“It’s never been easier or more affordable to go solar thanks to SolarizeNOVA, a community based initiative that provides free solar assessments, bulk purchasing discounts and information on financing options. I urge all residents and businesses to visit www.SolarizeNOVA.org to learn how they can save with solar.”
Falls Church Mayor David P. Tarter
“Sustainability and reducing our carbon footprint are critical action items for the City of Falls Church,” said Mayor David P. Tarter. “We are pleased to participate in this regional effort being coordinated by NVRC and LEAP. I urge all interested residents to participate in the free home energy checkup and solar review.”
Vienna Mayor Laurie DiRocco
“Vienna is proud of its efforts to protect our environment and promote sustainability. I urge all of our residents to take advantage of the free home energy check up and solar review.”
Hon. Penny Gross, Chairman, Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC)
“Northern Virginia has been and is our Commonwealth’s ‘Innovation Region.’ Solarize NOVA is an innovative program to help make renewable energy more accessible to our citizens and business community. I am delighted we are able to expand this program with our neighbors in Alexandria and Dumfries and eventually move it forward to all of Northern Virginia.”
Andrew Grigsby, Interim Executive Director, LEAP
“LEAP is excited to be back in Falls Church and Vienna and have the City of Fairfax join our wildly popular Solarize NOVA program. We’ve seen a surge in interest across Virginia by homeowners who are motivated by the discounted prices and who know that our clean energy future starts with their roof. Since 2014, more than 50 Northern Virginia homeowners have put solar panels on the roofs and taken control of their home’s energy with Solarize. That has meant $1.5 million in contracts for local solar installers and 413 kW of clean electricity. We look forward to welcoming more happy clients this spring.”
Mark Gibb, Executive Director, Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC)
“Solarize NOVA is part of a 1,000 rooftop challenge in Northern Virginia. In 2011, the NVRC adopted a regional energy strategy that calls for NVRC to help facilitate aggregated procurement of renewable energy technologies. This program helps bring reduced cost solar systems to our residents and business community utilizing local installers. A win-win for all.”