LEAP Seeks Pilot Participants for New Commercial Program
Energy Improvement Rebates Up to $25,000 on 15% Efficiency Gains
Charlottesville, Virginia — Commercial property owners can take advantage of cash rebates for energy and water efficiency upgrades through a new commercial program announced today by the Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP). The program will offer an Energy Improvement Rebate of up to $25,000 for commercial properties that are projected to improve the building’s energy use by a minimum of 15% as documented by modeled or deemed savings. LEAP is also seeking local engineering, HVAC, and commercial contractors to go through a qualification process to be able to participate in the program.
“Saving money and making smart investments are cornerstones for success in any business. Energy efficiency improvements will not only lower overhead by cutting utility costs but will also enhance the workplace environment for increased productivity and a better customer experience,” said Cynthia Adams, LEAP’s Executive Director. “We’re excited to invite local property owners to take advantage of the Energy Improvement Rebate to help offset those upfront costs and to be the pioneers of this new community initiative.”
The commercial program complements the products and services that LEAP has offered for the past year to homeowners in the region, including the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, limited-time Better Basics Rebate, and Green $ense financing program with UVA Community Credit Union.
“LEAP would also like to pilot our program with five commercial property retrofit partners to help us better understand our local market, to test out our application and approval process, and to use as case studies for the program proper,” said Adams.
Key Facts About LEAP’s Commercial Energy Improvement Rebate:
• To qualify, a retrofit project must be projected to improve the building’s energy use by a minimum of 15% as documented by modeled or deemed savings.
• Energy improvement measures may include commissioning, air sealing, insulation, HVAC upgrades, lighting improvements and more.
• At the conclusion of the project, LEAP will reimburse property owners for 25% of the first $10,000 value of individual retrofit projects and 15% for the next $150,000 project value (both net of utility subsidy).
• The maximum allowable amount will be $25,000 or $1.50 per square foot.
• The cost for the energy assessment will be considered as part of total project value, and therefore a portion of it will be rebated as well at the project’s completion.
• Rebates are available first-come, first-served basis, as they are funded through grant dollars.
To support the efforts of business owners to reduce their energy and water use as well as make other smart decisions about the sustainability of their operations, LEAP and Betty World Betty will soon launch the Better Business Challenge. Major sponsors include the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce, Dominion Virginia Power, the City of Charlottesville and County of Albemarle among others, the Challenge is a unique opportunity for local businesses to compete in a friendly challenge that also empowers participants with the resources they need to succeed.
The Challenge will officially be launched in May, but interested businesses can email email@example.com for more information.
Contact: Annie Suttle, LEAP, 434.249.9817, firstname.lastname@example.org