check-up products and services
During each Home Energy Check-Up performed by LEAP, your Energy Coach will assess the need for additional energy-saving measures. While Coaches may recommend a more thorough inspection (i.e. home energy audit) or longer-term investments, there are some product installations we can do on-site for immediate energy and cost savings.
Products and Services Included in a Home Energy Check-Up
The following may be provided, as appropriate for each home, at no additional cost:
• Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs): We install up to 9 energy efficient CFLs at each Check-Up. These use about 75 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs and last eight to fifteen times longer. Technological advances have improved the color of CFLs, the variety we offer are “instant on” and do not require time to warm up, and Home Depot, Lowe’s and others offer safe disposal.
• Smart Power Strip. This is a surge protector that helps you conserve energy (pictured above). Many electronics draw standby power from the outlet even when they are not in use. It may be impractical and inconvenient to unplug electronics like TVs and computer monitors when not in use, so smart strips help to reduce this unnecessary “phantom load,” which can contribute up to 10% of your energy use. Read more about smart strips.
• Water Conservation. For all-electric homes and Charlottesville Gas customers, we offer a variety of water-saving devices including low-flow showerheads, pipe insulation and wrapping hot water heater tanks.
• Expert Advice. Your Energy Coach will install the above items, as appropriate, and provide his or her customized expert advice on how to improve the health, comfort, savings and value of your home.
The value of this package is estimated at up to $250 in goods, savings, and professional advice, but because LEAP is a Participating Contractor in the Dominion Home Energy Check-Up program our price to homeowners is only $20-$45 (depending on location) for the entire Check-Up*.
Additional Products and Services Available
We offer the following energy-saving products at a price comparable to or cheaper than what you’ll find in the store or online. These items are not included in the Dominion Home Energy Check-Up program, but as a nonprofit trying to help homeowners reduce their energy usage we have found these items to be good investments and a valuable offering to our clients. Our Energy Coaches are able to sell and install these products during the Check-Up. Our intention is to offer these additional items as convenience to you, but no sales pressure intended.
• Air Filters. LEAP has partnered with FilterEasy, a simple, convenient, cost-effective service that delivers filters to your home exactly when it’s time to change them at a lower cost than most hardware stores. No more hassle, no more forgetting. And you get 50% off your first shipment with LEAP (use LEAP50 at http://air.filtereasy.com/). Your LEAP Energy Coach can help you select the right size and place your order. Cost: price varies and is paid directly to FilterEasy.
• FilterLock. Seals furnace and A/C filter slot to help prevent dirt, debris, and harmful pollutants from entering your heating and cooling equipment and circulating throughout your home through the duct system (pictured at right). Easy to use magnetic attachment for easy access to your air filter. Improves indoor air quality and the life of your equipment. Cost: $15.00
• Plug-In First Alert Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Alarm sounds when there are unhealthy and/or dangerous levels of carbon monoxide present. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas byproduct of combustion fuels often referred to as “the silent killer.” Cost: $30.00 each
• Radon Test Kit. Follow instructions in kit and mail to lab for your results to determine the level of radon in your home. Radon is a dangerous radioactive, colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that occurs naturally in the soil as a decay product of uranium or thorium. The Environmental Protection Agency and World Health Organization warn that radon inhalation accounts for up to 14 percent of lung cancers worldwide and is the world’s second-leading risk of lung cancer, next to smoking. More information on radon. Cost: $35.00 (set of two)
• Air Scrubber. Touted as a “home air purification system,” an air scrubber actively reduces the airborne and surface contaminants, mold, dust, pollen and odors and in your home and helps keep everything from your air ducts to door knobs clean and safe. More information on air scrubbers. Cost: $995.00
• Carbon Credits. Take advantage of LEAP’s Save a Ton program and buy carbon credits for $25/ton to offset your carbon footprint. The credits were quantified and verified through the Voluntary Carbon Standard and are offered to individuals and companies. Learn more.
Learn more about the Home Energy Check-Up or click below to schedule your Check-Up.
*Certain restrictions apply. Contact us for details. Visit www.dom.com/hec-terms to view the Terms and Conditions for the Home Energy Check-Up program. Visit www.dom.com/hec-faq to view some frequently asked questions.